Thanks for Stopping By!

Welcome to all visitors and new followers. It is great that you have taken the time to read a post or two. Please visit again and continue to keep it simple and make it real.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Bread, Ice Cream! Huh?!

This recipe was sent to me by a friend that knows that I am into making bread.  She thought this looked easy and probably tasted pretty good.  I was to be the test kitchen.  Her intentions were certainly good but I seriously questioned the recipe.  Ice Cream Bread?  I like ice cream and I like bread but putting them together seemed an unlikely mix.

The recipe is certainly easy.  I believe that the ice cream is the substitute for all wet ingredients in any other bread recipe.  What the heck!  I went for it.

Good, good, good!   Easy, easy, easy.

Give it a try!




Ice Cream Bread
Ingredients
2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour (if you don't have self-rising flour, use 1 1/2 cups all-purpose plus 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt).
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest


Directions
 
Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray an 8"x4" loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, mix together ice cream, sugar, flour, and zest until just combined.
Transfer the loaf to the baking pan and smooth out.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick stick in the loaf comes out with a few crumbs stuck to it.
Remove from the pan and let cool.
 

Recipe adapted from Taste of Home

2 comments:

  1. is it like a pound cake quite dense or is it light like a sponge cake? How sweet is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is like a sweet bread - not like cake at all. The next time I make it I am going to add nuts and raisins. Nice hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete